Woodridge Public Library has a variety of books, CDs, and DVDs to assist Woodridge residents with their English as a Second Language studies and with basic literacy skills development.
Feel free to browse and print our ELL/ESL Resources handout.
The following organizations provide further information, classes and/or tutors for learning English as a Second Language and for basic literacy skills (these programs are not sponsored by the Library, but many of them use the Library's facilities and materials):
- English Language Acquisition (ELA) instruction is a free educational opportunity for adult community members, 17 years of age or older, whose primary language is other than English.
- ELA classes improve a student's English skills in the areas of conversation, listening/speaking, reading and writing for the purpose of community participation, employment or to further educational opportunities.There are seven course levels, beginning through high-intermediate. Classes meet four to 10 hours per week at more than 25 locations throughout the district during the morning, afternoon and evening.
- All students must take a placement test and attend a short orientation/intake session prior to registration. Placement testing, orientation and registration take approximately three hours. Children are not allowed in the testing room so please plan ahead.
- Call (630) 942-3697 for registration days and times.
- Provides free one-on-one tutoring at a time and place convenient to the student and the tutor.
- Phone: 630-416-6699
School & Tutors on Wheels, Congregation of St. Joseph of LaGrange
- Free ESL one-on-one tutoring once a week for one hour
- Tutors also help students prepare for GED and citizenship tests
- Woodridge location is the Woodridge Park Disctrict ARC - 8201 Janes Ave.
- Drop-Ins welcome Mondays 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- 708-354-9200 ext. 5060
Illinois Adult Learning Hotline (1-800-321-9511) - trained bilingual (English and Spanish) operators provide local program referrals.
World Relief Refugee Services, DuPage Office (630-462-7566) - located in Wheaton.